Thursday, October 18, 2007

Off to Steel Country - or is it the Desert?

Well, the time has finally arrived. I'm about to embark upon my first steelhead excursion of the season. Nature is kind of a bitch sometimes though. Let me explain...

I (along with my trip companions) have been looking forward to the annual Erie steelhead trip now since about mid July sometime. Flies were tied with reckless abandon. Gear was purchased - a really nice landing net, a very sweet Lamson Litespeed 3, and a new cavernous Fishpond chest pack. Everything is ready to go. But here comes the cruel part: all this preparation and now relatively no water to fish in. The bigguns (Elk and Walnut) are a trickle. It hasn't rained substantially in Steelhead Alley in many weeks.

So what do we do? We go anyway. We make the best of it. We alter fishing plans and lodging plans.

Looks like we'll hit the Catt. Didn't get to fish it last year because of too much water and now it's damn near the only game in town. Maybe next year Chautauqua. Same to you 20 Mile! It could have been real!

Enough with the lamentations. I'll post back with photos (hopefully of us holding dime bright steel) when I get back. In the meantime, pray for rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment