Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Trout in February



Got the chance to fish the Farmington on Tuesday after work. Air temps were in the upper 30's, which is not to bad as far as winter fishing conditions go. Winds were light, which was an added bonus. Water temp was measured at 37 degrees, flow was approximately 240cfs.


Short synopsis - I ended up with 3 trout landed, and 1 LDR'ed, which was probably a brown. The fish we're getting right now in the Farmington are pretty good sized by eastern US standards. All the fish I caught were around the 17" mark.

It was nice to see some insect activity going on! The winter caddis were everywhere along the streamside rocks, but I didn't witness a hatch per se.


Later in the day, I met up with my friend Torrey, who is the manager of Housatonic River Outfitters, and his significant other, Mandy. Torrey was into a brown in the first 15 minutes, that went 18".



After that, it was my turn and I landed this fairly beat looking rainbow. Definitely has been caught more than once already. I was actually happy, despite the Tom Green grimace... just cold.



Great to get out and have something tugging on the end of my line, but we still have a bit of winter left to go before the real fun starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment