Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ammonite Nymph



Been reading up on this bad boy in the past few days. Looks like another effective pattern in the right hands. There's a couple of things I like about this fly: First off, it's damn near bullet-proof. Second, it's so general, it could be representative of anything, just tie it in various colors and sizes.

I didn't have all the correct materials to tie with, so I'm not done experimenting yet. Doubtless, I will come up with some sort of variation to make the tying a bit easier. I was never one for spending 40 minutes at the vise for one fly. Stay tuned for updates on this fly, but here is a facsimile of what it should look like.

2 comments:

  1. That is a sexy fly.
    I hope it works.
    One of the most frustrating things about flyfishing and tying for me is that sometimes the prettiest flies just don't get it done.
    ..knucklehead fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it is sexy - hopefully in a fishy sort of way! I think this will perform well though in the right conditions. It's weighted, but not heavily, so I think when fish are holding in the riffles, feeding, it could be killer.

    ReplyDelete