Saturday, April 25, 2009

Another Fine Spring Day

Trillium

Bloodroot


... of trout fishing! When I got down to the river this morning, the air temps were in the 40's. By quittin' time, my thermometer read 85 degrees! So I went from freezing my ass off to sweating my ass off in a mere 4 or 5 hours.

Fished one of my favorite rivers today, the Shepaug, and had pretty good fortune. I ended up with 14 fish, of which only 1 was a fresh stocker. I know this for fact because today was the first day they stocked the river. I don't know how long some of these fish have been in the river, but they're generally very healthy looking; beautiful fins and scales and full of fight.

The caddis were out in force today. Lots of bugs migrating upstream and many of them were laying eggs. I don't know my caddis very well, but they were about a size 14 with mottled wings and a black belly and green back. My guess is hydropsyche.
Picked off a few in some pocket water. It's nice to see the fish moving up into feeding areas. That's a sure sign that the water temps are creeping up to the trout's optimal temperature range. In fact, when we started fishing, the water temp was 51. By 3pm, it had risen all the way to 61. Before you know it, it'll be too warm.


Then, it will be time to head north!

No comments:

Post a Comment