Monday, April 6, 2009

Naugy TMA

The river is loaded with stocker rainbows right now. You may lock intoa few holdovers too, as we had a cool summer last season and surely many of them survived the heat.

I did pretty well today, hooking 11 and landing 9, all rainbows. The quality of the fish is very good. I would say the average fish is approximately 15 inches, but I've heard credible reports of larger ones being caught.

Here is one that was particularly photo-worthy:


I worked a different stretch of river today, just to see if they were in there. I took me about 5 casts to find out! Then, I worked my way upstream, hitting all the likely spots. Each hole had at least several fat 'bows in it.

The productive flies for today were an Olive/Orange woven caddis and the Firefly, which is basically a pheasant tail with a hot orange bead. The stocker rainbows love that bright color, whether its orange or pink. I have yet to play around with other colors.

The Firefly:


and the woven caddis nymph:


I had to stop fishing later in the day. Not because of the pouring rain, but somehow, the last one snapped my rod tip off! This is the second time I'll be sending the TFO 10 footer back. Hopefully it'll be the last time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm lucky if the biggest fish in the river behind my house was stocked at 15 inches. CT really takes care of you fellas up there. That woven caddis looks great btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris - Yeah, I don't know what they're feeding them, but they are very pretty right now. Been working on the weaving thing - the one I posted is actually not one of the better ones. Someday I will be proficient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA. I've been working on my weave as well. I've had a few come out decent.

    ReplyDelete