Thursday, August 16, 2007

Farmington - 8/15/07



Fished the river tonight with Jeff B. Let's just say somewhere between Hitchcock and Church Pool. After a slow start, I moved up into some pocket water and had my way with them. It simply wasn't fair. I lost count, but ended up with 20+ fish, the biggest one taping out at 15" - a nice fat rainbow. Fished mostly with PT's and picked up a few on a BH Prince.





That river is absolutely loaded. It seemed like every conceivable piece of water that might hold a trout did hold at least one. In one mini-hole of bank water, I landed at least 10 and hooked many more.

The last fish of the day was the best, and the proverbial one that got away. After landing the 15 incher, this animal was much heavier, so I'm guessing at least 18" of piscatorial braun. He made a nice upstream run, ripping line off my reel, not quite into my backing, but almost. Then he came charging back at me; I was reeling in line frantically, when he decides to make another run upstream again. He tucked under a rock and then it was game over. Fish 1 Dave 0. Those are the ones you remember.



All in all, a great night out on the river and if anything, I'm honing my skills for steelhead season. It can't get here soon enough.

3 comments:

  1. It's not even a fair fight any more, is it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it was said kinda tongue in cheek, Matt. The days when the fish kick my ass far outnumber the days I kick theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that hard to believe. When was the last time you got your ass kicked by a fish? And NOT a sea bass.

    ReplyDelete