Sunday, August 19, 2007

A walk in the woods

Nora and I hiked about 7 miles of the Tunxis trail, out by Barkhamsted reservoir on Saturday. On our journey, we found a few Horn of Plenty mushrooms, but apparently we were late because we found many more decaying ones. Enough for the fry pan. Also discovered a little trout stream that feeds a pond. I spooked a bunch of brookies, which was pretty cool. Here are some photos:







One other thing... does anyone have a guess what this might be?



I think it might be a button Hen of the Woods, but I'd like to hear some other guesses.

4 comments:

  1. Let's see ... eye of newt, bark of elm, and hey! My brain!! I've been looking for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave- you might be right. It wasn't gelatinous was it? If it was than it's not hen of the woods.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was pretty firm. I've never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete